1) Arrange twelve pots systematically, label six as A and six as B and then number then A1-A6 & B1-B6. Let B represent the group with fertilizer and let the different numbers represent different magnesium concentrations.
2) For group A, use a 2:1 ratio for potting soil to seed starting mix, measured by an electronic balance. Use distilled water to moisten the potting soil and the seed starting mix.
3) To ensure the soil remains airy and drainable, utilise a large sieve to filter the soil into pots and assure that large pieces do not enter the pot. The seed starting soil must remain at the top.
4) Repeat steps eleven and twelve for group B using a 2:1.5 ratio for potting soil to seed starting mix and fertilizer, measured by an electronic balance. Also, stir the seed starting mix and fertilizer well to ensure an even spread.
5) Provide two litres of water using a water can to simulate the natural environment when a flood has occurred.
Preparing the solution
6) Label the five large beakers to represent each magnesium sulfate concentration. Let A represent 0%, let B represent 1.27%, C for 2.53%, D for 5.05%, E for 10.10%, and finally, F for 20.19%.
7) In beaker F, pour 200 mL of aqueous Epsom salts.
8) In beaker E, pour 100 mL of aqueous Epsom salts. Then, pour 100 mL distilled water to dilute the concentration to 10.10%.
9) In beaker D, pour 50 mL of aqueous Epsom salts. Then, pour 150 mL distilled water to dilute the concentration to 5.05%.
10) In beaker C, pour 25 mL of aqueous Epsom salts. Then, pour 175 mL distilled water to dilute the concentration to 2.53%.
11) In beaker B, pour 12.5 mL of aqueous Epsom salts. Then, pour 187.5 mL distilled water to dilute the concentration to 1.27%.
12) In beaker A, pour 200 mL of distilled water.
13) Wrap diligently using parafilm in order to prevent evaporation. Repeat steps 6) to 12) for every second watering.
14) Fill a large container with 200 mL of distilled water.
15) Place 72 mung bean seeds inside and let them remain for a day in order to aid germination.
Planting the seeds
16) Using a marker, create six 1.5 cm deep holes in each pot.
17) Plant a sprouted mung bean seed in each hole. Plant six seeds in each pot to ensure enough germinate for data collection.
18) Place the pots under growth lights in order to aid development.
19) Use a watering can to water the same amount of liquid (200 mL) to the plants every two days.
CHAPTER III: DATA
3.1 Raw Data
The length was taken from the base of the soil up; average length was taken by dividing the total length, from soil up, by the number of seeds that germinated per pot. The weight of the entire plant was measured; average weight was measured by dividing the total weight by the number of seeds that germinated per pot.